You can make a number of changes to a running course, some of them affect a user’s progress, some do not. Read below the details on what restrictions exist in edX by design.
The following changes do not affect users’ progress and scores:
- Correcting typos and similar smaller corrections.
- Adding new units (which were not existing before).
The following changes affect users’ progress by decreasing the percentage of the passed material, even for users who have completed a course:
- Modifying the existing content such as replacing videos, units, and tests.
- Adding new sections.
If you want to apply such changes, you need to use the course re-run function. This function duplicates most of the course content to another course without changing the original course.
After a course is re-ran, it is independent from the original course and changes made to one course do not affect the other.
Re-running a course
To re-run a course in SIT Alemira Open edX Studio, you need to use the Export and Import functions:
- Log in to SIT Alemira Studio.
- Open your course and go to Tools > Export.
- Click Export Course Contents.
- Wait till the export completes and click Download Exported Course. Save the .tar.gz file locally.
- Create a new course to copy to it the original content and make changes.
- Open the created course and go to Tools > Import.
- Click Choose a file to import and select the .tar.gz file from step 4.
- Click Replace my course with the selected file. Wait till the import completes.
- Click View Updated Online.
Now you can modify your course and replace its content.
For more detail on the courses re-run procedure, see "Re-running a Course" in the Building and Running an Open edX Course: Juniper Release edX guide.